Monday 30 January 2017

Film Poster = Designing Credits


When starting to create my film credits I decided to first do some research into them, here is what I found…

1.      What are film credits?

They are the legal lines that appear in movie posters giving credit to the cast and crew that made the film, as well as the producers, distributor and financier behind it.

2.      How big should the credits be?

By convention, the height is normally no smaller than 25% of the height of the title. This is why the font used is generally so tall and compressed.

3.      How many lines do credits normally have?

Credits normally have an average of four lines, usually positioned at the bottom of the poster under the film’s title.  They can sometimes circulate around the edge of the film poster.

4.      What font is commonly used for the posters?

There isn’t an official font used universally for the credits, however Univers 39 Ultra Condensed is most common.

5.      What colour should they be?

The credits have to readable yet well integrated into the poster, hence why they are commonly seen in grey so that they aren’t too prominent. A softer version of a main colour on the poster could also be used.

I then decided to use Photoshop to create the credits as it would then be easy to place on top of my poster. I went online and found a template of what needed to be included…


I then created this…

I decided to use a font called ‘Microsoft Yi Balti Regular’ as I like the slight typewriter finish it gave to the poster, making it fit into the sort of indie, unique feel of the film.

                             

No comments:

Post a Comment